, , , , ,

On my weekly call with my grandparents this past Sunday, Gramma mentioned that she’s working night and day on a sweater to wear over her dress at this wedding in a few weeks. I’ve had a number of warnings about how chilly desert nights are supposed to be, so Sunday afternoon I started on this shawl that I’ve had in my Ravelry queue for a while now. The yarn I’ve had even longer, it’s from a size 22/24 knee length cardigan that I bought in 2009 that I’ve only partially unraveled. 30% wool 70% acrylic, so not the greatest fiber content, but it will block out nicely, I think.

The pattern can be found here, surprisingly, it’s a free pattern from Lion Brand Yarns. Surprising because their free patterns are the source of much mirth when I’m in that particular silly mood that hits sometimes when you haven’t had enough sleep.

The pattern is easy and sometimes I get so focused on the repeats that I add bits in that shouldn’t be there. I’ve had to unravel a few rows twice now because I only discover my mistakes after they screw things up far enough down the line that I finally notice. I need to stop thinking that this is a mindless project.

So, I have a story about my attempt to work on this earlier in the afternoon. I took a book and the shawl out onto my back porch. The cats came out with me. After taking the lovely photo above (and those are my plants on the floor – oregano, dead basil, and peppermint), a gust of wind carried my ball of yarn off the porch. I’m not sure I’ve mentioned this before, but I live on the 3rd floor.

It lodged itself in the chain link fence downstairs. First I shooed the cats inside, then I broke the yarn attaching it to the shawl, ran downstairs and rewound the ball from down there. Coming back upstairs, I wedged the ball between my book and the shawl and came inside to get a glass of water. I walked back out onto the porch just in time to see the little ball roll off the side again thanks to another gust of wind.

Bah. I’m inside now and NOT working on the shawl.